This delicious one-pot chicken and rice casserole is perfect for a weeknight family dinner. Simple ingredients make this classic recipe super easy to whip up.
One-pot chicken and rice casserole
Whipping up a quick casserole is a great way to get your family meal on the table.
This recipe combines creamy cheese with rice, chicken, and broccoli to make a dinner that is sure to be a family favorite.
My favorite part of this meal is that it just uses one pan. Hello, easy cleanup! Plus it combines chicken and broccoli, those two ingredients go together so well.
This page contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase using the link, I could receive a commission check out all the details here.
Chicken and rice with chicken broth
If you’re currently standing in line at the grocery store trying to decide what to cook for dinner, don’t stress! Pin this to your favorite recipe board and it will be ready when you are!
Chicken broccoli rice and cheese casserole
Grab a large pan and saute the diced onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Increase the temperature to medium-high and add the chicken and garlic to the pan.
Once the chicken is browned, push it to the side. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the empty side of the pan and pour the uncooked rice into the oil. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
Stir in the chopped broccoli.
Keep cooking on low for another 8-10 minutes, or until the broccoli and rice are both tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
Top with remaining cheese and cover with the lid. Let it sit for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
A simple and delicious chicken casserole that's perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pan, over medium heat, sauté the diced onions in two tablespoons of the olive oil until soft. About 2-3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the chicken to the pan with the minced garlic. Cook until browned.
- Push the chicken to one side of the pan and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Pour the uncooked rice into the olive oil and sauté it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook the chicken and rice mixture, covered, for about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli and stir to combine. Continue to cook, covered, another 8-10 minutes on low, or until the broccoli and rice are both tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese has melted
Creamy chicken and rice bake
This site wouldn’t be here without shares from people like you, and we are so thankful that you took the time to visit. Know a friend who wants to know how to cook a one-pot chicken and rice casserole? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite board on Pinterest.
Still trying to figure out what to make for dinner?
Check out these other recipes. We’re sure that you’ll find something delicious!